We’re getting towards the end of our project and are currently on track. The projection interface cube has been assembled allowing the projection mapping to take place. Beforehand, we tested the face mosaic concept in photoshop. See the process below…
To better understand what we aimed to project onto the cubes we utilised Photoshop to demonstrate an example face mosaic. This consisted of image layers, a selfie and a face mosaic as you can see below.
The above is made up of two image layers, a selfie test shot and a face mosaic overlay. Using Photoshop, we lowered the opacity of the face mosaic overlay in order to create the illusion of the individual’s selfie being made up of many faces.
The two images merged together were:
Although this technique is somewhat simplistic, it allowed us as a group to share a common perspective of what we envisioned the final content to look like.
In order to prototype and experiment with the project, we borrowed a projector from university so that we could become familiar with the equipment ready for a session of projection mapping with Keir.
Projection Mapping With Keir:
During a meeting with Keir we ran through the basics of projection mapping, how to set up the projector, the interface, focus and scale the projection, as well as the basic tools we would require for our project within Modul8.
Our First Attempt At Projection Mapping:
After meeting with Keir and running through the basics of what we needed to do in order to successful projection map onto our cube, we attempted to projection map content similar to that of the desired end result.
We utilised two different selfies in order to project onto two sides of the cube, with a face mosaic overlay to give the illusion that the individual face is made up of many faces.
Although we need to continually experiment with Modul8 and projection mapping to ensure that we are confident using the software for our Presentation and Viva assessment, for our first attempt we were impressed with what we achieved, see below.